Survivors Group of DFW, Texas
Our 12 Promises
Modified from AA's 12 Promises to suit Survivors
Recovery is a life-long process. We may never be "done" healing, and may go through cycles. However, our overall lives will continue to improve and we will pass many benchmarks along the way. Here is what we have to look forward to:
ADAPTED 12 PROMISES of SIA
1. We will finally know freedom, happiness, and serenity.
2. We will remember the past at last and walk freely away from it with our child intact.
3. We will comprehend the word “safety.”
4. We will know sleep without fear.
5. No matter how terrible the incest, nor how devastating its effects, we will recover and become whole again.
6. That feeling of hopelessness and self-condemnation will disappear.
7. We will lose our sense of toxic shame and gain self-respect.
8. Revulsion will slip away.
9. Our perpetrators will no longer have any power over us.
10. Fear of love and sexuality will leave us.
11. We will intuitively know how to handle intimacy.
12. We will suddenly realize that we are alive, lovely, whole, sane, and safe.